A2.GO Update 8

When we last left off on the Avant Resto Project, we had just completed the clutch and valve cover seals. Today we are moving a few more steps closer to getting the major work on the project wrapped up. Before we could put the motor back into the car and begin the process of reconnecting everything, we had to install a few accessories as well as prepare the engine bay. As you probably can figure out, it is always much easier to work on the motor out of the car then in it. The major accomplishments in this segment at the installation of the turbos, the routing of their respective lines and plumbing and the heat shielding that was done to the bay.

One of the biggest reasons for this whole build and arguably the most exciting part was the turbo install. While it was ultimately only one small aspect of the project, we looked forward to it the most. We had already removed the existing turbos and coolant lines we knew we would not need. In the last few updates we had also already cover the exhaust manifolds and refinished them. The valve covers, seals and sensors had all been replaced and we were ready to go. The very first thing we did was a rough test fit and inventory of parts to make sure we had everything we needed. Tial sells these kits as bolt on replacements, but like all aftermarket mods, we still had some work to do. Feeling confident that we had all the parts we would need like the various seals, washers, etc, we mounted the turbos. They fit great, although we did find that a long allen socket was needed to prevent any stripping the mounting bolts due the close proximity to the manifolds. We then began to run the plumbing lines for the coolant and oil. Tial has a set of installation instructions, however they leave much to be desired in terms of clarity and photo quality. All in all we will basically replace the stock compressor signal and waste-gate signal lines, as well as the coolant supply lines. The 605r kit is setup to reuse the stock oil supply and return lines. The supply lines must be modified (read: cut) to fit. With some wiggling and creative wrenching we got the hard to reach banjo bolts on and tight.

With the oil and coolant lines run and in place we turned our attention to the signal lines. It was at this point we realized that the manifolds had yet to receive their exhaust wrap. Bummer. So we pulled everything off and wrapped them off the car. Then we refit it all and moved on to running the signal lines for the compressor housing and waste-gates. This was probably the most challenging part of the install. Tial’s notes on where to locate the lines were unclear to say the least. We ended up routing the lines several times until we found a path that seemed to make the most sense. It was also at this juncture that we chose to revisit how we had run some of the coolant lines in order to better protect them. With all the plumbing in place for the turbos, our next step was the inlet installation and the clamps and couplers for the air intake system.

Tial’s inlets are really a work of art, the single piece mandrel bent stainless steel tubing fits perfectly. The design seals against the turbo inlet with a friction fit o ring, while up top, the Y pipe and “lobster claws” are secured with T clamps and silicone couplers. With the inlet pipes installed, the charge pipes were next. Tial’s 605 kit reuses the stock piping, but you will have to cut the piping down to fit. We ultimately took off about 1.6” The charge piping connects to the outlet on the turbo with two T clamps and a silicone coupler, all provided by Tial. It is recommended that the cut down charge pipe has its bead re-rolled in order to prevent the pipe from blowing off the turbo under high boost. With this all buttoned up we took a well needed break and then returned to prepare the engine bay for the re-installation of the motor.

The bay prep was a minor task in comparison, we removed brackets and got the secondary fire wall ready for the heat tape. Our goal was to shield and protect the cabin, rain tray and ECU from any unnecessary heat gain. We are also hoping that by increasing the reflective surface of the metal surrounding the soon to be very hot turbos, we can reduce heat soak and gain across the motor as well. We worked with small strips of the gold foil tape and added it to places previously left bare and to the existing heat shielding as well. We decided to continue the look across the whole firewall for a more aesthetically pleasing engine bay. With that we have reached the end of our update for now. Stay tuned for the next update covering the motor install, coming soon! Until next time, happy wrenching!

-CA Staff

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s