A6 Brakes

Brake Overview-3

The brakes on the A6 Avant were due for an update and refresh. The rotors had started to exhibit the classic signs of ware, as a deep lip had developed on the outer lip of each one. The pads themselves still had some meat left on them, but the dust and performance from the semi metallics left much to be desired. With this in mind we picked up a set of Powerstop rotors and ceramic performance pads. The rotors came in a cross drilled and slotted option, which looks great and helps clean off the ceramic pads. The install was actually the fast and easiest we have done to date. (It’s worth noting that we had the use of a lift) The process is much like the any other brake job we have done, we started by pulling off the wheels. For the fronts we then pulled off the outer pad clips. Next we separated the caliper from the caliper bracket, and worked the old pads out. After suspending the caliper from the knuckle we turned our attention to the rotors. The rotors on the C6 A6 are held in with a small torx head set screw. We advise the use of an impact for these, as they tend to be easy to strip. With the set screw off, we can loosen the caliper bracket bolts, two total and remove the lower bolt. This allows us to swing the caliper bracket out of the way and slide in the new rotors. Install is the reverse of removal, just remember to grease the backs of the new pads and re-attach the pad wear sensors. (Important note: make sure that the brake fluid reservoir is uncapped to allow for fluid to expand. This will happen when you retract the calipers back into place by pushing them) The rears follow a similar method, the caliper is held on by two bolts, and the parking brake connector must be unplugged. We also had to screw the rear calipers back into place, which needed a special brake caliper tool. (We rented ours from our local auto store) The only other major difference is the rear rotors can be replaced without touching the rear caliper brackets, they slide into place. Once all the pads and rotors have been replaced, greased and the bolts tightened, just check the brake fluid reservoir for overflow and pump the brake pedal a few times to restore pressure in the lines. (NOTE: do not press the pedal fully, use only half pumps to prevent damage to the seals) So there it is in a nut shell, hope it helps and as you can see it’s not a very hard job. As always, happy wrenching and remember to work safe.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s